Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I Tip My Hat to You

This past weekend, Sooze came for a visit to the city. She hadn't been to see our new apartment and we were so glad to host her.

We caught up with old friends, got haggled in China town when purchasing a few faux purses, shopped on Madison Ave., talked about furniture I need, er, want and of course ate lots of good food. Sometimes there is nothing better than having your mom come visit - no matter how old you get, it just makes you feel good.

We joked that she was the only one in NYC wearing a bright green jacket.

One of our favorite things from her trip was the hat exhibit at the Bard Graduate Center. Just steps from our apartment on the Upper West Side, the exhibit, Hats: An Anthology by Stephen Jones, was one of my favorites that I have seen. The museum is a converted townhouse/brownstone and admission is only $7! Talk about cheap - especially for NYC.

We weren't sure what to expect but were quite impressed with what we saw. The exhibit displays more than 250 hats from around the world. We particularly liked those from London in the early 1900's and pictured Mary from Downton Abbey in them (by the way, how great is that show?).

Some of the other cool hats were Babe Ruth's baseball cap, Darth Vader's original mask from the Star Wars movie, FDR's top hat, a hat from the Queen mum, and Sarah Jessica Parker's funky hat from the Sex & The City movie premiere.







We went around 11 a.m. on Sunday and were the only visitors in the entire museum - even better! If you are in the city anytime through April 15th, I highly recommend you go!

Thanks again Sooze for a wonderful visit!

All gallery images from www.bgc.bard.edu/

1 comment:

  1. brought a tear to my eye. love you and loved my visit and I tip my hat to you, too! sbr

    ReplyDelete