Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Some Weekend Fun

This past weekend The Husband's parents were in town. I'm very fortunate to have such great in-laws in addition to a wonderful set of second aunts and uncles over in NJ (don't worry Southerners, most of NJ is nothing like how they portray it on the "Real Housewives" or the "Sopranos"). After work on Friday, I took the double decker train out to Morristown to meet the fam for dinner and relax by the pool. Bailey, of course, enjoyed running around in the "country" too and getting as muddy as a dog could get.

Saturday we traveled back to the city for some art museum time. For those that don't know, my father-in-law is an artist (among many other things). He's created some amazing pieces including "The Rose" which hangs over our kitchen table.
Now, usually my attention span at a museum lasts no longer than 30 minutes, but when we go with the in-laws, I always know I'm going to learn something interesting and appreciate art just a little bit more. We checked out the Charles Burchfield water colors at the Whitney and took a guided tour, which I definitely recommend. The next day we visited the Met and saw the Picasso exhibit (a little too crowded for me) and some Vemeer paintings. My favorite exhibit was the American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity.
Photo from The Met website
The clothes are in excellent condition and to see how women dressed throughout the years is quite fascinating. I couldn't get over how tiny their waists were (I'm sure they would have preferred Spanx to girdles though).

Last stop was the Met roof-top to see the Bamboo exhibit. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the family at the beach...ahhh, the beach. Can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. how fun. can't wait to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the best weekend ever--thank you for being such great tour guides & hosts.

    ReplyDelete