Monday, September 28, 2009

I Love Beach Music...

I have and I always will. As the song says, I was born with it in my bones.

One of the things I hate most about the end of the summer is the end of shaggin’ to beach music. Now, don’t get me wrong, you can always listen to these happy tunes, but it’s just not the same in the cooler months. I don’t think the Embers were wearing sweaters and puffy winter jackets when they first sang the lyrics, “I learned to shag on the beach with the salt in the air and the sand at my feet.” To me, beach music goes better with a sunburn, a sundress and a sweet tea.

Never-the-less, beach music has a way of making everyone smile and dance – even if it’s just a toe-tap and a head-nod. Not all music can do that. Despite the start of autumn in New York this week, I’m taking a time-out to listen to some good ol’ beach music because before you know it, I’m going to need that sweater and puffy winter jacket here in the city.

Now, ya’ll do the same and go turn on some tunes from Chairman of the Board, Embers and Bill Deal and as my favorite sign says just, “Shut Up and Shag.”

"Shut Up and Shag" and the city from our roof

Some of Southern in the City's favorites to name a few:

- Carolina Girls
- Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy
- Miss Grace
- Part-time Party Man
- More Than a Number
- Hold Back the Night

So Southerners, what are yours?

Oh, and as for the sign, "Shut Up and Shag" - my dear friend Lauren, another Southerner in a different city, gave it to me back in college - cute huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment